Sarah Axtell, ND and Joanne Aponte, ND have extensive training in analyzing labs. While labs do provide ample insight into your condition and the cause of your condition, naturopathic doctors do not simply address labs, they take a holistic approach and help people on an individualized basis. Here are the laboratory services offered at Lakeside Natural Medicine:
Conventional Lab Analysis
When naturopathic doctors analyze labs, they look for tighter ranges of normal to ensure optimal health- translating to you feeling the best you can feel. Be sure to bring in all recent blood work you have had done so that your naturopathic doctor can analyze these on a functional basis.
Examples of common conventional labs include:
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
- Thyroid Panel (TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and Thyroid antibodies)
- Lipid panel (includes cholesterol and triglycerides)
- Diabetes screening (fasting blood glucose and insulin)
Specialty Lab Analysis
Sometimes conventional labs, such as the ones stated above, can only give us so much information in regards to your overall health and well being. Naturopathic doctors utilize specialty tests to identify the root cause of health concerns. The specialty lab tests below are especially helpful.
Specialty tests available at Lakeside Natural Medicine include:
- Salivary hormone panel: measures levels of progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. Indicated in menopause, infertility, and hormonal imbalances.
- Adrenal stress index: measures cortisol, your main “stress hormone,” and corresponding highs and lows throughout the day. Indicated for patients with chronic fatigue and insomnia.
- Micronutrient testing: measures the function of 35 nutritional components including vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and amino acids within our white blood cells. Scientific evidence shows us that analyzing the white blood cells gives us the most accurate analysis of a body’s deficiencies.
- SIBO testing: Lactulose breath test to assess for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. Indicated for patients with IBS, acid reflux, abdominal bloating, diarrhea, gas, and/or constipation.
- GI health panel: a stool test identifying beneficial bacteria, imbalanced bacteria, dysbiotic bacteria, and yeast. The test will also measure digestive enzymes and levels of inflammation. Indicated for people suffering from gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain.
- Food Allergy Testing: evaluates your sensitivities to more than 90 common foods. Indicated for patients with poor digestion, gas and bloating, skin conditions, headaches, joint pain and fatigue.
For more on our approach to labs, see this blog post: When Your Doctor Says Your Labs are Normal but You Still Feel Sick.
Naturopathic wellness services are not a substitute for diagnosis and treatment from your medical treatment provider.
Dr. Joanne Aponte's bedside manner is both calm and patient. She listens intently and then explains her recommendations in great detail and then provides my wellness plan printed for my convenience. She is very knowledgeable in naturopathic medicine. With her help I am symptom free, feel great and know I am leading a healthier life than before knowing her. I strongly recommend Dr. Aponte.—CS, 61 year old Female
I wanted to write and thank Dr. Aponte for working with me this Spring. I feel like a new person- rested, calm and without pain. The guidance and care Dr. Aponte provided was the perfect solution to my health issues and I'm so grateful.—CB, 53 year old Female