Our naturopathic doctors have extensive training in analyzing labs. While labs do provide ample insight into your condition and the cause of your condition, naturopathic doctors do not simply address labs, they take a holistic approach and help people on an individualized basis. Here are the laboratory services offered at Lakeside Natural Medicine:
Conventional Lab Analysis
When naturopathic doctors analyze labs, they look for tighter ranges of normal to ensure optimal health- translating to you feeling the best you can feel. Be sure to bring in all recent blood work you have had done so that your naturopathic doctor can analyze these on a functional basis.
Examples of common conventional labs include:
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
- Thyroid Panel (TSH, Free T3, Free T4, and Thyroid antibodies)
- Lipid panel (includes cholesterol and triglycerides)
- Diabetes screening (fasting blood glucose and insulin)
Specialty Lab Analysis
Sometimes conventional labs, such as the ones stated above, can only give us so much information in regards to your overall health and well being. Naturopathic doctors utilize specialty tests to identify the root cause of health concerns. The specialty lab tests below are especially helpful.
Specialty tests available at Lakeside Natural Medicine include:
- Salivary hormone panel: measures levels of progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol. Indicated in menopause, infertility, and hormonal imbalances.
- Adrenal stress index: measures cortisol, your main “stress hormone,” and corresponding highs and lows throughout the day. Indicated for patients with chronic fatigue and insomnia.
- Micronutrient testing: measures the function of 35 nutritional components including vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and amino acids within our white blood cells. Scientific evidence shows us that analyzing the white blood cells gives us the most accurate analysis of a body’s deficiencies.
- SIBO testing: Lactulose breath test to assess for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. Indicated for patients with IBS, acid reflux, abdominal bloating, diarrhea, gas, and/or constipation.
- GI health panel: a stool test identifying beneficial bacteria, imbalanced bacteria, dysbiotic bacteria, and yeast. The test will also measure digestive enzymes and levels of inflammation. Indicated for people suffering from gas, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, and abdominal pain.
- Food Allergy Testing: evaluates your sensitivities to more than 90 common foods. Indicated for patients with poor digestion, gas and bloating, skin conditions, headaches, joint pain and fatigue.
For more on our approach to labs, see this blog post: When Your Doctor Says Your Labs are Normal but You Still Feel Sick.
Naturopathic wellness services are not a substitute for diagnosis and treatment from your medical treatment provider.
My experience at Lakeside Natural Medicine has been nothing but positive and life changing. Prior to attending Lakeside I had an unexplained weight gain, mood swings, irregular periods and low energy levels. In general I did not feel like myself. Today I am proud to say that I am the healthiest I have ever been. I am now able to maintain a healthy weight, regular energy levels, maintain better mental health and my menstrual cycles are back to normal. Four to five months after my first appointment is when I started to see these positive changes.—ES,22 year oldFemale
All of these changes were achievable with the helpful recommendations from the doctors at Lakeside. One of the first things I did was a saliva test that measured my hormone levels which were ultimately the causes of the negative changes in my body. I made dietary changes, started to take natural supplements and made more efforts to exercise.
Dr Meister was nothing but supportive, encouraging and professional as she helped me get to the root of my health issues. You can tell she truly cares for the well being of her patients and aims to provide the best long lasting natural solutions.
I visited Dr. Joanne Aponte after I discovered I had h. pylori bacteria in my system. My medical doctor put me on antibiotics that I had to stop taking after 24 hours due to intense side effects that included severe diarrhea and an extremely upset stomach. Dr. Aponte had me take some supplements for 30 days and at the end a medical test proved that the bacteria was no longer an issue. lt was a painless, side-effect minus protocol. Additionally, the recommendations from Dr. Aponte not only solved my immediate problem it also put me on a path to intestinal healing that has been an issue for me for years and years. I was unprepared for how wonderful it felt to once again not have an upset stomach after every meal I ate. I continue taking some supplements and have not had any of my past discomfort reappear. I cannot express how incredibly grateful I am to Dr. Aponte and the staff at Lakeside who have been unfailingly kind and professional at every visit. I will most definitely include Lakeside going forward with any health-related issues I have.—AA,74 year oldFemale
We feel so fortunate to have found Dr. Axtell. We originally sought treatment for my youngest child who has had food intolerances since birth. Despite having a wholesome diet and being an overall very healthy child, she was experiencing significant joint-pain that was progressively getting worse. Dr. Axtell provided supplements and we notice significant relief within days. Since then, we have been able to reintroduce most foods and only very rarely have issues with pain or GI discomfort. Because of the amazing results with my youngest, I began working with Dr. Axtell myself. She quickly identified significant hormonal, gut, and nutritional imbalances. Prior to working with Dr. Axtell, I was eating a healthy diet (low in sugar and refined grains, and high in protein and vegetables) and exercising regularly. However, I had chronic fatigue, difficulty focusing, sleeping, controlling blood sugar, excessive water retention, and it was very difficult for me to lose weight. Dr. Axtell did extensive blood, stool, and hormone testing to determine a treatment plan. Since implementing her plan, I feel better than I have my entire adult life and I’ve lost over 30 pounds without making significant changes to my diet or exercise routine. I honestly look back and can’t believe how I made it through the days feeling as awful as I did. If would absolutely recommend Dr. Axtell without reservations to anyone who is looking to feel better and identify health issues not commonly identified by general practitioners.—JB,38 year oldFemale
Dr. Joanne Aponte's bedside manner is both calm and patient. She listens intently and then explains her recommendations in great detail and then provides my wellness plan printed for my convenience. She is very knowledgeable in naturopathic medicine. With her help I am symptom free, feel great and know I am leading a healthier life than before knowing her. I strongly recommend Dr. Aponte.—CS,61 year oldFemale
I wanted to write and thank Dr. Aponte for working with me this Spring. I feel like a new person- rested, calm and without pain. The guidance and care Dr. Aponte provided was the perfect solution to my health issues and I'm so grateful.—CB,53 year oldFemale