Castor Oil Packs for your Liver
BySarah Axtell, ND •December 9, 2022
The external use of castor oil supports the body’s detoxification and elimination functions, enhances liver metabolism, balances the immune system, and improves lymphatic circulation. The castor oil pack costs next to nothing, only asking a bit of your time and your openness to its detoxification and healing power.
WHEN A CASTOR OIL PACK IS INDICATED
For many people, the castor oil pack is a foundational remedy that supports many healthy body functions. This is why we consider the castor oil pack part of our “Basic Wellness Guidelines for Optimal Health,” and a powerful remedy for many on the road to wellness.
The castor oil pack is beneficial for a broad range of symptoms and disease states, including almost all digestive disorders (such as constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, liver diseases and gallstones), male and female pelvic complaints (such as enlargement of the prostate, PMS, uterine fibroids and ovarian cysts), conditions related to hormonal imbalance (such as irregular menstrual cycles and infertility), and even more general complaints (such as headache and numerous inflammatory conditions).
SUPPLIES NEEDED FOR YOUR CASTOR OIL PACK
- Castor oil
- Old towel or flannel
- Hot water bottle or heating pad (optional)
DIRECTIONS FOR YOUR CASTOR OIL PACK
- Apply about a quarter-sized amount of castor oil to your whole abdomen (including Liver – upper right side). Your skin will absorb some of it, and a light film should remain on top.
- Fold the old towel or flannel and use it to cover your abdomen.
- Except during the summer months, we recommend that you place a hot water bottle over your castor oil pack to aid the oil’s penetration.
- Relax and allow 30-60 minutes for best results. This is a wonderful time to practice deep breathing, meditation, or any other relaxing activity that you enjoy.
- Afterwards, you can allow any remaining oil to soak into your skin or take a warm shower.
- You will derive the most benefit from your castor oil pack if you use it a minimum of 4 consecutive days each week (such as Monday-Thursday evenings).
A FEW NOTES
- Castor oil can stain sheets and clothing so wear an old t-shirt.
- Store castor oil in a cool place away from direct sunlight and use within a couple of years.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.