Help License Naturopathic Doctors in Wisconsin
ByJoanne Aponte, ND •August 26, 2021
The bill to license ND’s in Wisconsin has been introduced at the Capitol and we need your help!!!
Here is how you can help:
- Sign up to be a Super Supporter – If you are willing to attend the hearing for licensure at the Capitol in Madison to give a testimony please email Dr. Aponte at firstname.lastname@example.org. We know this is a big ask, but if you feel inspired to go to the capitol in person to give a 3-minute testimony about how Naturopathic medicine has helped you, this would help our chances of licensure greatly!
- Call or email your local legislators a quick call or email to your legislator to let them know you support licensure of naturopathic doctors will make a great impact. Tell them how much you’ve been helped with naturopathic medicine and that you want to see us licensed.
Why do ND’s need to be licensed?
Licensure will be a critical step so that Naturopathic Doctors can help serve patients better. Your naturopathic doctor needs to be licensed to be able to do the following things. Right now we can’t do any of these! We must first be licensed.
- Serve as your primary care doctor
- Prescribe medication when you need it (this includes thyroid medication and bioidentical hormone therapy)
- Bill labs to your insurance to reduce your out of pocket costs
- Put in a referral to a specialist when you need it
- Insurance companies and health savings plans are unlikely to reimburse you for the cost of an appointment until NDs are licensed.
As licensed practitioners, we will be able to better communicate and collaborate with your medical doctors. Licensure will also legitimize the title “Naturopathic Doctor”. Right now anyone (with or without training) can call themselves a naturopathic doctor
Thank you for your support! Together we can make this happen.
Dr. Sarah Axtell and Dr. Joanne Aponte
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.