Chocolate Mousse of the Gods
By Sarah Axtell, ND • July 24, 2008
Are you looking for a desert for your little one’s birthday and would prefer not to load him/her with a bolus of sugar, wheat, and dairy? Here is a delicious vegan, raw chocolate mousse made from avocados! yep, thats right, I said avocado, but no one will be able to tell! it’s deceptively delicious!
- 3 avocados
- 1/2-cup maple syrup
or 1-1/4 cup soft dates (as an alternative sweetener)
- 1-tablespoon non-alcohol vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tablespoon cold-pressed coconut butter or olive oil
- 3/4-cup raw carob powder
- 4 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
If raw carob is not available, use a total of 2/3-cup coca (as cocoa has a much stronger flavor than carob), adding more to taste
- 1-pint raspberries or sliced strawberries
- Fresh mint leaves(optional)
1. If you are using dates: pit the dates and cover with fresh water to soften for 5-15 minutes
2. In a food processor: Blend avocados (scooped out of the skin without the pit!), with sweet ingredients, vanilla and coconut butter or olive oil until smooth
3. Spoon in carob and cocoa powder and blend until creamy
4. Layer with fresh berries.
- 1/2 cup almonds, soaked in fresh water for 8 hours
- 3/4-cup pecans
- 3/4-cup walnuts
- 4-6 soft dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- pinch sundried sea salt
In a food processor:
Chop nuts into a fine meal.
Add dates and maple or honey and chop until well mixed.
Add cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
The texture should be crumbly and sticky.
Press evenly into a pie plate.
Sliced strawberries or bananas can be layered into bottom of the piecrust.
Spread the Chocolate of the Gods Mousse evenly into the pie crust and generously top with fresh berries.
Cece devouring the chocolate mousse on her first birthday.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.