Kale Salad with Butternut Squash and Candied Pecans
By Sarah Axtell, ND • December 9, 2016
A perfect Fall or Winter salad with so much flavor!
For the Salad
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced (time saver- buy the bags of pre-cut butternut squash)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 cup candied pecans
- 1 tsp salt
For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Add kale to a large bowl and massage with 1 tbsp olive oil for 1-2 minutes. (This is a necessary step to break down the kale so it is not as tough and bitter). Add the chopped cilantro.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Add the diced butternut squash to a baking sheet and coat with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, curry powder and salt. Mix well. Bake for 20-25 minutes until squash is tender.
3. To make dressing: Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Transfer to butternut squash to the bowl of kale and cilantro. Add the candied pecans. Drizzle with the tahini dressing. Toss to coat. Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.