By Sarah Axtell, ND • July 24, 2014
Is your little one hungry before bed? Maybe he didn’t get enough protein today… Or it was a challenge to get him to eat his veggies today…if so, a green smoothie is the perfect “last snack.” Try a smoothie packed full of nutrients that will keep your little one satisfied all night long. A much better choice than milk before bed! Here is a recipe we use, but feel free to play with it. You’ll likely have extra after blending this all together so it makes a great snack for mama too!
I always keep frozen spinach on hand. I toss it in sauces, soups, hamburger meat, and SMOOTHIES! Trust me, your child will have no idea! The deep color of the berries will mask the green spinach. And with all the other goodness added to the smoothie, his taste buds will not be able to tell! Deceptively delicious!
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/4 cup frozen spinach (can also use fresh spinach or kale)
- 1 tbsp ground seeds (flax or sunflower ground in coffee grinder- see previous post, “Give your child the seed of health.”
- 1 tbsp hemp protein powder or 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other milk substitute-hemp, rice, soy)-you may need more than this, just keep adding more liquid until you reach desired consistency
- Optional: 1 capsule of blue-green algae (Afa-gen). Just break open the capsule into the blender.
Blend and enjoy!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.