Brussels Sprout Slaw with Lemon, Pecorino and Dried Cherries
By Sarah Axtell, ND • October 18, 2018
This veggie side dish is super tasty and ultra-cleansing thanks to the parsley, brussels and lemon juice (all foods that support the liver). This recipe also includes Pecorino Romano cheese- sheep’s cheese, which is easier to digest than dairy that comes from cows. If you are dairy-free, simply omit.
I buy the brussels already shaved as a time-saver (Trader Joe’s).
- 1/4 cup olive oil + 1 TBSP
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP nutritional yeast (available in the bulk section at most health food stores; excellent source of B12!)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/t tsp black pepper
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, shaved
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
1. Make sauce: whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper in a large serving bowl.
2. In a large skillet over low heat, lightly saute shaved brussel sprouts in 1 TBSP olive oil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to bowl with sauce. Mix well.
3. Stir in cherries, parsley and cheese. Top with pine nuts.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.