Carrot Raisin Flax Muffins
BySarah Axtell, ND •June 4, 2014
I love flaxseed. I love it for its delicious, nutty taste. And of course, I love it for its health benefits:
1. It is an excellent source of fiber, making your gut healthy. A happy,healthy gut is at the foundation of optimal health.
2. It contains anti-inflammatory essential fats. And since inflammation is at the root cause of most chronic diseases, eating flaxseeds is helping to prevent and treat many chronic and degenerative diseases. For more on flaxseeds’ ability to dampen inflammation, see my post here.
This recipe is so good. Makes for an easy breakfast or delicious, satisfying snack.
- 2 cups oat flour (simply process 2 cups gluten-free oats in a food processor)
- 1 cup ground flaxseeds (aka flax meal)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (maple syrup or honey would work too)
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsk baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups shredded apple
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup raisins or currants
In a separate bowl combine and mix:
- 2 organic eggs
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease muffin pan. Combine all ingredients. Fill muffin tin and bake for 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.