Grain-Free Zucchini Muffins (SCD Friendly, Paleo)
By Sarah Axtell, ND • March 1, 2015
I often recommend the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) for my patients with IBS or IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease), such as Crohn’s and Colitis. The premise of the diet is to limit/avoid complex carbohydrates (ie. disaccharides, such as lactose and sucrose) along with starches, such as potatoes and grains. These carbohydrates can be difficult to breakdown and can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria and thus injury to the intestinal wall.
There is no need to feel deprived on this diet, especially if you have some go-to baked good items to satisfy a carb craving.
Grain-Free Zucchini Muffins
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
2 tsps cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 ripe banana, mashed
1 cup zucchini, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a muffin tin.
2. Combine the coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.Mix well.
3. In a food processor, combine eggs, vanilla, coconut oil and honey and process until combined.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in the food processor and pulse to combine.
5. Allow the mixture to sit for 2-3 minutes for the coconut flour to absorb the liquids. Add the apple cider vinegar, banana and zucchini and pulse combine.
6. Scoop the batter into the greased muffin pan. Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick or fork inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.