Mini Spinach Quinoa Hemp Bites
By Sarah Axtell, ND • May 18, 2018
I made these Mini Spinach Quinoa Hemp Bites recently, and they were a hit with my kids. I find my kids like patties or individual “bites”- things they can dip in ketchup really! I’m not a huge fan of ketchup due to the sugar content (I prefer salsa) but if it helps get nutrient-packed foods into my kids, so be it!
Hemp hearts (aka hemp seeds) provide a nice balance of essential fats, enhancing your brain’s memory and cognitive function. Hemp hearts (or seeds) are a complete protein, providing 10 grams protein per 3 tbsp.
As I always recommend- consider doubling the recipe as they freeze nicely.
Spinach Quinoa Hemp Bites
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups broth (vegetable, chicken or bone broth)
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup crumbled goat feta cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bring broth to a boil. Add quinoa and reduce heat. Let simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, spinach, hemp hearts, oregano, cheese, eggs and salt and pepper.
- Grease a mini muffin tin with coconut oil. Spoon approx. 1 TBSP into the pan and pat down with spoon.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let cool and remove from the pan using a butter knife.
I like to dip them in salsa, pesto or marinara sauce. My kids prefer ketchup.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.