Recipes for Summer
By Joanne Aponte, ND • July 12, 2018
Here are a couple healthy and delicious recipes to bring to your summer cookouts and picnics. I always brings a vegetable or vegetarian dish to gatherings to counterbalance the typical burgers, hotdogs and buns. This way I know my family will have something healthy to choose from and I figure a healthy side dish and more veggies are good for everyone!!! Both these recipes use olive oil, a heart healthy and anti-inflammatory healthy fat.
Spicy Cabbage Slaw
- ½ head green cabbage, shredded
- ½ head purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ organic red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons coconut vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar or honey
- ½ teaspoon organic garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients until creamy. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss thoroughly to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour and then serve.
To save time, buy a pre-packed shredded cabbage and carrot mix
Sweet Texas caviar
- 1/4 cup honey or coconut nectar
- 1/4 cup oliv eoil
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow or red pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 15 oz can black eyed peas or black beans
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can corn (frozen or fresh is good too)
- 2-3 dashes of salt to taste
- 2-3 dashes of pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together and let marinade for 2 hours (overnight is best). Serve with avocado slices or organic corn chips.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.