Creamy Purple Cabbage Slaw with Cilantro
By Sarah Axtell, ND • August 19, 2018
This is one of the easiest and quickest side dishes. I serve it with Coconut Turmeric Crusted Fish as a topping for fish tacos. I like to lightly steam the cabbage as it is easier to digest when cooked. In addition to supporting the digestive tract, cooking cabbage is also better for the thyroid. Raw cruciferous vegetables contain goitrogens that can interfere with thyroid function if eaten in large qualities. Cooking cruciferous vegetables deactivates the goitrogenic effect.
Purple cabbage is rich in antioxidants, thanks to the compound, anthocyanin. Anthocyanin gives purple cabbage its pigment and is responsible for quelling free radicals. Free radicals are molecules that beat up your cells and age them quickly.
- ½ head purple cabbage
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup water (more or less, for steaming the cabbage)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, steam cabbage with water on medium heat for a few minutes (until cabbage is tender). Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar (ACV).
- Toss the slaw with the mayo/ACV sauce.
- Add chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Serve chilled. I love it as a garnish on top of tacos.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.