Spiced Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Balls
BySarah Axtell, ND •June 23, 2014
These make a great after-lunch snack or desert. I love making fruit and nut/seed balls with my girls. We have fun getting our hands sticky while rolling the mixture into balls, licking the bowl and eating the finished product together. These are packed full of energizing minerals, antioxidants, protein, and essential fats. The ginger and pumpkin pie spice give them a kick of flavor with the finished product reminiscent of a chai tea meets mocha. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp ground flax
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a blend of nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp ground maca powder (optional- see post on maca for all its health benefits. It is super energizing as it tonifies your hard-working adrenal glands!)
Blend ingredients together in a food processor. Process until the mixture holds together when pinched between 2 fingers. If they are not sticky enough add a tiny amount of water so that they hold together. Roll into bite-size balls and freeze.
Recipe adapted from Daily Bites blog. Check out this blog- lots of yummy dairy-free, gluten-free treat recipes.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.