Spiced Forbidden Rice Bowl with Smoked Salmon and ‘Kraut
BySarah Axtell, ND •December 15, 2022
Forbidden rice is a black rice from Asia rich in both taste and nutritional value. It is so named because it was considered the Chinese Emperor’s rice, and anyone else was forbidden to eat it. It has a rich, nutty flavor. Forbidden rice is a nutritional power house. It is full of minerals, specifically iron, and also a good source of fiber so it will keep you feeling full longer and promote healthy bowel movements. When cooked, it turns a deep purple color, revealing its anthocyanin content. Anthocyanins are a type of flavonoids, or plant pigments, that have been found to have prominent health benefits. Some of the health benefits include protection against cancer, allergies, inflammation, heart disease and diabetes.
Spiced Forbidden Rice Ingredients:
- 1 cup forbidden rice (aka black rice)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup bone broth
- 2 tsps ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsps fresh grated ginger
- salt, pepper to taste
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- 2 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- ½ cucumber, sliced thin
- ½ cup edamame
- Wild-caught smoked salmon (Trader Joe’s)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup sauerkraut
- Make spiced forbidden rice: In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk and broth to a boil. Add rice and seasonings and turn heat to low. Cover. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Make dressing: Whisk together lime juice, rice vinegar, and grated ginger.
- Add rice to a bowl. Top with cucumber, edamame, and salmon.
- Drizzle with the dressing and sprinkle with cilantro and sauerkraut.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.