Superfood Pumpkin Smoothie
By Sarah Axtell, ND • October 8, 2020
I am a sucker for anything pumpkin- pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin soup, and yes, pumpkin smoothies! This Superfood Pumpkin Smoothie is reminiscent of pumpkin pie as it contains pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin of course, and coconut cream. The coconut cream makes it deliciously creamy and is a healthy alternative to whipped cream.
It is filled with superfoods to support overall health and good immunity:
- Pumpkin– excellent source of vitamin A. Studies show that vitamin A can strengthen your immune system and help fight infections.
- Pumpkin seeds– rich in zinc.
- Coconut cream– rich in lauric acid. Lauric acid is a fatty acid precursor to monolaurin, which has antiviral and antibacterial activity.
- Turmeric– anti-inflammatory herb.
So put down that pumpkin spice latte (which is filled with approximately 50 grams of sugar in a 16 ounces!), and make this nourishing Superfood Pumpkin Smoothie instead.
- 1/3 can pumpkin
- 1 cup almond milk (or milk substitute of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 TBSP ground pumpkin seeds
- 1 TBSP coconut cream
- 1 pitted date
- 1 scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder (I use Sunwarrior)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. If too thick, add more dairy-free milk or water.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.