Sweet Potato-Peanut Stew (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
By Sarah Axtell, ND • July 16, 2014
Sweet Potato Peanut Stew (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
- 3 sweet potatoes, chopped into small cubes
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 4 tbsp peanut butter
- paprika or cayenne pepper (optional- I like to add to this individually to bowls for those who like it spicy)
- cilantro (optional as a garnish)
- crushed peanuts (optional as a garnish)
1. In a large soup pot, saute onions in oil for 5-10 minutes.
2. Add broth, garlic, and ginger and bring pot to a boil.
3. Add sweet potatoes, lentils and curry powder and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for approx. 25-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Add peanut butter and mix well.
5. Blend stew with an immersion blender or transfer to a food processor. (For a chunkier stew, omit this step).
6. Garnish with chopped cilantro, peanuts, and paprika or cayenne if desired.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.