Quinoa Cherry Salad with Chickpeas and Pumpkin Seeds
BySarah Axtell, ND •July 16, 2014
This quinoa salad is protein-packed, keeping you full and satisfied for hours. It makes for a great lunch. Make a big bowl of it at the beginning of the week and package it up for an easy, delicious on-the-go lunch at work.
Quinoa Cherry Salad with Chickpeas and Pumpkin Seed
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 4 ounces dried tart cherries
- 4 ounces raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch of kale, de-stemmed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa and salt and cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fluffy.
2. In a medium skillet, saute kale with coconut oil in medium heat for approx 10 minutes or until wilty. Add a few tsp of water if needed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Prepare dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients together. Set aside.
4. In a large salad bowl, combine all ingredients (quinoa, chickpeas, kale, pumpkin seeds, cherries). Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.