Turmeric Papaya Smoothie
BySarah Axtell, ND •May 26, 2022
Papayas are a dietary staple in the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica- a Blue Zone. They are rich in papain, an enzyme that aids in digestion and reduces inflammation. Papayas are also a good source of the vitamins A, C, and E. In addition to the flesh, papaya seeds are also edible! The seeds have anti-parasitic, antibacterial, and liver-regenerating properties.
The turmeric and ginger in this smoothie add an additional anti-inflammatory punch.
Enjoy this tropical taste of paradise!
- Flesh from 1/2 papaya, plus 1 TBSP of the seeds
- 12-16 ounces coconut or almond milk
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ inch piece fresh ginger
- 1-2 TBSP chia or ground flaxseeds
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder (ie. Sunwarrior)
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Shredded coconut (optional, for topping)
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid if needed.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.