Veggie Crust Pizza
BySarah Axtell, ND •July 16, 2014
Nothing is more comforting than pizza! Dinner is never a battle when it’s pizza night! I have been playing around with using veggies as crusts. The zucchini one is AMAZING! It’s sort of like a quiche as the crust, and then when you top it with your favorite sauce, veggies and cheese–perfection!
Zucchini Crust Pizza
2 cups packed grated zucchini (4 small zucchini)
1/2 cup almond flour
2 tsps Italian seasonings- oregano, basil, thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Coat pizza-pan with raised edges or cookie pan with olive oil spray.
2. Mix together all ingredients in a bowl and transfer to pan. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. With a spatula, carefully loosen bottom of crust from pan.
3. Top with your favorite pizza toppings- marinara sauce, pesto, mushrooms, chopped spinach or kale, olives, artichokes, and cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes.
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
1 cup cooked “riced” cauliflower
1 cup of your favorite cheese (goat mozzarella or parm are my favs)
1 egg beaten
2 tsps Italian spices (oregano, thyme, basil, garlic)
1/2 tsp salt
To “rice” the cauliflower:
Take 1/2 large head of cauliflower, remove stem and leaves and cut into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like rice or a grain. Heat on the stove top with a touch of water (not too much!) for approx. 10 minutes or until tender.
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Transfer to greased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Pat it down so it is even. You can brush olive oil over top to aid in browning.
3. Bake for 20 minutes. Pull it out of oven, top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.