Tips on Choosing and Using Gelatin
ByMackenzie Prentice, DNP, APNP •February 1, 2023
Gelatin is a cooked down version of collagen, beneficial for GI health, skin, bones, joints and mental health. See The Healing Powers for Gelatin blog post for details on benefits gelatin has to offer. If you are new to using gelatin in your diet, read below for some helpful tips.
Gelatin comes in different forms:
1. Whole: This gelatin is in its whole protein form. It is not well absorbed, making it best for improving gut health by soothing the gut lining and drawing in fluids for healthy bowel movements.
– This form will turn into a gel so it is best used to make gummies or jello.
– This form must also be added to warm liquids, as it will clump if added to cold liquids. Try adding to soups or stews.
2. Hydrolyzed: The protein is broken down into individual amino acids. This makes it easier to absorb. This is best for skin, joints and bones, and sleep and mental health. – This form will not thicken, so it can easily be mixed into a smoothie or other liquid, hot or cold. Try adding to your coffee, tea, rice, etc. It is also a great protein powder.
The source and quality matters.
– It is best to avoid gelatin that is mixed with hormones or coming from factory farms. Look for terms such as: Pasture-raised, 100% grass-fed
– A few good quality brands include: Great Lakes, Vital Proteins, Perfect, and Bernard Jensen.
Bovine versus Porcine:
– This form comes from cows, making it kosher.
– 100% Grass-fed. This means the gelatin comes from cows who were grass-fed. It is safe to say these cows are happier, healthier, and have a good diet.
– This form comes from pigs; it is cheaper than bovine.
– Responsibly-farmed. It is unknown whether or not these pigs have additives to their diet.
Bovine may be the superior choice.
Avoid using gelatin if you are managing a histamine intolerance.
Although gelatin can be supportive to the gut, it may exacerbate a histamine response. Please ask your provider if gelatin is right for you.
Click here for the Gut Healing Blueberry Gummies recipe that uses whole protein gelatin and is great for gut health.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.