Why Papaya is One of My Favorite Fruits
BySarah Axtell, ND •July 13, 2023
Papaya is one of my favorite fruits. For one, it is such a vibrant, beautiful orange hue, adding a pop of color to your plate. After all, we first eat with our eyes. And not to mention its sweet (but not too sweet) flavor and buttery/creamy texture. And of course the stellar health benefits:
- Papayas are rich in papain, an enzyme that aids in digestion and reduces inflammation.
- Rich in immune-supportive vitamins A, C, and E.
- In addition to the flesh, papaya seeds are also edible! The seeds have anti-parasitic, antibacterial, and liver-regenerating properties.
- Anti-cancer. Papaya contains lycopene, an antioxidant that has been linked to a reduced risk of certain types of cancer, notably prostate cancer.
- Rich in potassium and magnesium which can help lower blood pressure.
Papayas are a dietary staple in the Nicoya Peninsula, Costa Rica- a Blue Zone (region known for its longevity). When I visited Nicoya, Costa Rica, I was inspired to make this Turmeric Papaya Smoothie– a tropical taste of paradise!
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.