Coconutty Beans and Greens Stew
BySarah Axtell, ND •January 27, 2023
This is such a nourishing winter dish. It contains the Holy Trinity of Immunity- garlic, ginger, and onion. High in fiber and packed full of cleansing greens- you can’t go wrong with this stew.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP miso mixed with 1/4 cup water
- In a high speed blender, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno. Blend on high until well-combined.
- In a large stew pot, heat 1 TBSP olive oil over medium heat. Add onion mixture and 1 tsp salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until moisture is evaporated and mixture is paste-like in consistency and beginning to stick to bottom of skillet, 12–16 minutes.
- Stir in cumin and salt. Pour in canned coconut milk and 1.5 cups water. Stir to combine.
- Add kale and beans to pot. Stir until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in miso/water mixture and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.