Creamy Mushroom and Kale Soup
BySarah Axtell, ND •January 11, 2015
Many creamy soups are thickened with flour and filled with cream. When it comes to soup, always be sure to ask about ingredients when dining out and read labels carefully at the store.
2 cups baby portabello mushrooms (or button mushrooms would work just fine), chopped
2 cups shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dry sherry
2 cans light coconut milk
1 can full fat coconut milk
4 cups organic vegetable broth
1 bunch of kale, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp brown rice miso
1/2 cup water
1. In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions, mushrooms, dash of salt, nutmeg, thyme. Continually stir and cook about 8 minutes until mushrooms and onions are soft.
3. Add 1 tbsp dry sherry and stir mixture continually for another 2 minutes.
4. Add coconut milk and broth.
5. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and add chopped kale. Cover soup pot and cook 20 minutes.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Mix miso and water together in a separate bowl. Then add to soup and stir well.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.