Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Cauliflower and Goat Cheese
By Sarah Axtell, ND • January 12, 2015
This is one of my favorite winter soups. First, it is absolutely delicious and satisfying on a cold winter day. Secondly, it is full of immune boosting nutrients, such as vitamin C. And lastly, it contains powerful anti-cancer compounds, such as indole-3-carbinol found in cauliflower, and antioxidants found in the peppers.
4 red peppers, cut in half and seeds removed (or 2 jars of roasted red pepper- time saver)
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsps smoked paprika
4 cups vegetable broth
4 ounces goat cheese, crumbed
2 tbsp brown rice miso
1/2 cup water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place the red peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, broil until the skins are blackened, about 10 minutes, place in a sealable container and let ‘steam’ for 20 minutes before pinching the skins off and dicing. (Omit this step if you are using jarred red peppers- time saver!)
2. Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower in the oil, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F oven until tender and caramelized, about 20-30 minutes, mixing once in the middle.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, thyme and paprika and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the roasted red peppers, cauliflower, broth and goat cheese and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing to the desired consistency with a hand blender.
6. Mix miso and water together in a separate bowl. Then add to soup and stir well.
7. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with goat cheese.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.