Easy Salmon Salad
By Joanne Aponte, ND • May 29, 2020
*** To save time I usually use wild canned salmon. You can also try baking the salmon instead of poaching.
For the salmon:
- 1 pound salmon fillet, cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (for the rub)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (for the poaching liquid)
- 1 lemon slice
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon capers (strain out the pickling juice) OPTIONAL
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped ( or 1 tsp dried dill)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the salmon fillets: Rub the salmon fillets all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator while you prep the other ingredients.
2 Make the dressing: Combine celery, red onion, capers, lemon zest and juice, dill, olive oil, black pepper in a large bowl. Set aside for the flavors to blend.
3 Poach the salmon: Put 4 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and a slice of lemon in a pot wide enough to hold the salmon. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the salmon to the pot. Return to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes at a bare simmer.
4 Cool and break up the salmon: When the salmon is just cooked through, remove it from poaching liquid and put it in a bowl. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Once it has cooled to touch, break the salmon gently into chunks.
5 Make the salad: Add the salmon to the bowl with the celery, onions, and capers. Gently toss to combine. Serve as is, or over mixed greens or butter lettuce.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.