Fall Harvest Salad with Maple Tahini Dressing
By Sarah Axtell, ND • October 18, 2020
This salad has all the tastes of Fall- roasted root vegetables, maple syrup, and apples. It is a perfect salad for entertaining, but it is easy enough to whip up for a week night dinner. I am always one to bring a hearty salad like this one to Thanksgiving to encourage more color on our plates! I use bagged organic shredded kale and bagged pre-cut butternut squash from Trader Joe’s (major time saver!).
The maple tahini dressing is DIVINE! I could literally eat it with a spoon. Enjoy!
- 2 cups shredded kale, de-stemmed (discard the tough big stem/ribs in the middle)
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsps turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 apple, diced
Maple Tahini Dressing Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the brussels and squash on a parchment-lined pan. Drizzle with avocado oil. Season with salt, pepper, and turmeric. Roast for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large salad bowl, massage the kale with small amount of avocado oil or olive oil and salt. Gently knead the leaves for about 3-5 minutes, similar to how you would knead dough. This helps break down the cellulose in the kale, making it softer and less bitter.
- Add roasted vegetables to the bowl. Add chopped walnuts and apple.
- To make the dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Top the salad ingredients with the dressing and mix well.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.