Grapefruit and Arugula Salad with Avocado
By Sarah Axtell, ND • February 11, 2018
“To age well, we must eat well.”
This salad is one of the recipes I included in my “Anti-Aging” workshop. It is packed full of antioxidants. The ruby red grapefruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, which promotes collagen production. In addition to vitamin C, lycopene is another antioxidant in ruby red grapefruit, giving it its distinctive red color. Arugula is a leafy green plant packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Arugula also contains phytochemicals, which are beneficial in preventing cancer. Avocados are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fats as well as vitamin E, one of the most important nutrients for the skin. Enjoy!
- 2 cups Arugula
- 2 cups Spring mix (or any other salad greens)
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 1 avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- ¼ cup walnuts
For the Dressing:
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp grapefruit juice (freshly squeezed from the grapefruit included in the salad)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tsps nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/2 shallot
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and section grapefruit. Squeeze membranes over a bowl to extract juice.
- Add dressing ingredients (including juice of grapefruit) to food processor. Process until well combined.
- In a large salad bowl, add salad greens, avocado, grapefruit, hemp seeds and walnuts. Toss with dressing right before serving.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.