BySarah Axtell, ND •July 24, 2008
Refried Beans are a great source of protein. You can give them to your child right out of the can (perfect texture for he/she to feed self) or you can make your own. Canned refried beans are often very salty so by making your own, you can control the salt content. Here is a delicious recipe for hearty refried beans.
-2 tbsps. grapeseed or coconut oil
-1 large onion, finely chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
-2 tsps. cumin
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-2.5 cups dry pinto beans
-3 quarts water
-1/4 cup water
1. Put beans in a large pot and cover with about 3 quarts of water (so that beans are covered approx. with 3 inches of water).
2. Bring to a boil and then let simmer until beans are soft.
3. Strain the beans from the water.
4. In a skillet, combine oil, onion and garlic. Cook until onion is translucent.
5. Add the beans to the skillet along with 1/4 cup water. Mash until beans are a rough puree. You may need to add more water.
6. Season with salt and pepper, chili powder and cumin.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.