Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes Topped with Spiced Nuts
BySarah Axtell, ND •June 23, 2014
If you and your family are as big of fans of sweet potatoes as we are, you’ll love this recipe! I am always looking for healthy new twists on how to prepare the antioxidant-rich root vegetable. Cece helped me make these and she termed them “sweet potato boats.” Enjoy!
1 cup hazelnuts or blanched whole almonds (I used both)
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread almonds and/or hazelnuts on baking sheet, and toast 5-7 mins. Transfer to bowl.
2. Add coriander, cumin, and salt to nuts. Mix well.
3. Coarsely grind nut-spice mixture in a food processor or grind with mortar and pestle. Transfer to bowl and stir in sesame seeds.
5 medium sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
4 oz crumbled goat or feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Poke sweet potatoes all over with fork; bake on baking sheet 1 hour, or until soft. Cook 10 minutes.
2. Halve sweet potatoes, scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash with oil until smooth; fold in feta without breaking up crumbles. Place potato skins on baking sheet, spoon mashed sweet potato into the skins, and sprinkle each with 1-2 tbsp of the nut topping above. Bake 10-15 minutes.
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.