Why You Should Be Eating Walnuts Daily
By Sarah Axtell, ND • April 20, 2018
Walnuts are by far my favorite nut. I like them for their dynamic taste and health benefits. Here is why you should be eating walnuts daily:
1. A Healthy Brain. Walnuts are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which supports brain function. To promote mental clarity, good focus and optimal cognition, eat 1/4
cup daily. The shape of the nut even approximates the body part, looking like like left and right hemispheres of the brain. Nature is wise! My kids get walnuts
in their lunch daily (with a mix of dark chocolate chips)- you can’t go wrong!
2. A Happy Gut. Walnuts can increase the diversity of good gut bacteria, such as
lactobacilli, according to research from Louisiana State University. This is likely due to walnuts’ high fiber content.
3. Fewer Cravings. Walnuts spark the brain’s appetite-control centers, thus reducing cravings for highly desirable foods according to a recent study published in the journal Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism.
4. Reduced Stress and Decreased Blood Pressure. The alpha-linolenic acid in walnuts can blunt cardiovascular responses to stress. Researchers from Penn State University found that including walnuts and walnut oil in the diet lowered both resting blood pressure and blood pressure responses to stress in the laboratory.
5. Reduced Cancer Risk. According to a Harvard Medical School study, a diet that includes walnuts may slow colorectal tumor growth by causing beneficial changes in cancer genes.
Here are my favorite recipes that incorporate walnuts:
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.