Healthy Snacks for Kids (and the whole family!)
By Joanne Aponte, ND • September 10, 2017
Keys to building healthy snacks:
Include all the 3 main food groups to make a complete wholesome snack or meal. For example, avoid giving carbohydrate alone (crackers, cookies, cereal, pasta etc). All 3 food groups are needed to meet your child’s energy demands whether for school or play. Balanced snacks will keep them full longer and help them get the nutrition they need.
- Carbohydrates –fruit, vegetables, grains, potatoes, corn, beans, lentils.
- Healthy fats – olive oil, coconut oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, grass fed butter, full fat dairy (in moderation)
- Protein – animal protein, fish, beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, tofu, dairy (in moderation)
- (and whenever possible, vegetables!)
- Hummus dip with veggies or as a spread on rice cakes or crackers.
- Nut or seed butters (almond, sunflower, sesame, peanut). Serve with celery and raisins, piece of fruit, rice cakes or crackers.
- Avocado slices/Guacamole on rice cakes or crackers or with veggies.
- Trail mix with nuts and seeds such as walnuts, almonds, cashews, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. May combine with dried fruits such as raisins or cranberries.
- Combine fruit with nuts/seeds, cheese or yogurt.
- Apple with slice of cheese or nut-butter , Banana with nut butter
- Yogurt (unsweetened) with chia seeds, berries and granola.
- Black bean chips with avocado/guacamole, salsa and refried beans.
- Popcorn with coconut oil drizzled on top and sea salt to taste. (To liquefy coconut oil place in a warm bowl of water)
- “Healthier” Crackers/chips– with seeds or made with beans and lentils provide more protein and fat.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers – brown rice, quinoa, flax seeds, sesame seeds
- Lentil or black bean chips
- Smoothies – here is great guide for building nutrition packed and delicious smoothies. A great way to sneak in extra vegetables!
- Energy Bites (available in bulk at health stores) – Here are some great easy recipes
- Left overs from lunch (no need to think of something new, serve lunch twice!)
- Homemade muffins – here are recipes from Lakeside Natural Medicine:
Editor’s Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health practitioners with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health program.